Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend #2 Wrap-up: Sister visits (WFT: Weekend Family Take-over) part one

Home days at home numbering 10 + 11 went pretty well with Aunt Michelle and Uncle Scott visiting from California (Michelle by way of NY). Though Michelle came in Friday evening, we didn't get a visit til mid-Saturday which rocked given I slept til about 2pm, my taking on the 4am + 7am shifts. Man I hope those 4am shifts come to a close tomorrow as the doctor can make it cool for us to start having Calvin sleep through the night but that's for tomorrow's post.
And before I get into this past Sat/Sun, lemme complete Friday as I forgot to mention Bee and I took Cal out for his first walk around the lake! It was a great day weather wise so it worked out really well to head out post photo shoot.

While K took him out for his second walk while I went to class, I was super psyched to share this special occasion with him (and her). I wouldn't want to miss things like this so I'm happy that at this point, I have a real flexible schedule. It doesn't pay real great but I am continually reminded that there are more important things in life...and good thing too! ;)

So getting back to the actual weekend, Saturday involved a pretty major family day that brought the invasion of the Friend Family in full force. While cousins weren't coming, my parents along with Sister and Bro-in-law can be quite overwhelming and proved to be on this particular day. Mostly because I failed to protect my wife from the pressure of leaving Bam in questionably able hands, joining Mich and I along with Scott for a quick coffee. Alas, I gave into the pressuring along with them and while K stood strong and stayed with our son, I was left feeling pretty rotten when I figured out what I had done. Tough trooper that she is, K got over it quick as a shot.

So sis and I headed down to the corner bakery for a snack and had some sibling time to chat it up about things. Mostly I pressed her about her relationship with hubby which has had it's ups and downs. Currently I wouldn't say it was on an upswing but the fat lady's still in make-up and these two love birds are trying to find their own tune to hum together.

Upon my return, I noted Scott holding Calvin in a very comfortable manner seeming to love his time here. I will say that while he may read this blog at some point and at risk of hurting his feelings, he looked at home holding a baby.

So around 730, the family rolls out and the core family of 4 is back to doing our thing. Bam does his eat, poop and sleep routine; Jake fights for attention; Mom consumes herself with the goings-on of Bam; and I'm trying to fill in the blanks.

I would say that kinda covers what our 'usual' is. While it's exhausting for all involved, currently it's working. Do I feel somewhat lost in terms of what I used to be doing? Not really. Short of my being free to head out to play cards, things haven't been all that ridiculous. The sleep schedule is out of control, what with there being a 1am, 4am and 7am night feeding schedule. Both K and I are out of wack when it comes to a normal pattern as we trade off on what shifts who will cover.
Given K primarily covers the day, I try to take on 2 shifts during the night. And before you even start on how this doesn't break up evenly, I'd just like to point out that I do my part during the day by keeping the house in some sort of orderly fashion. (Insert trophy wanting statement)

Personally, I believe it's just as important as anything else that goes on around here. It seems simple enough that I should be taking care of things so that Mommy isn't stressed about anything but things surrounding CJ.

While I'm just happy that this isn't a permanent thing, I'm not complaining. 10 more weeks (minimum) of complete family time....including an entire summer!! Psyched!!

No comments:

Post a Comment